About Texas Marriage Index Records, 1966-2010
Information Available in this Collection
The Texas Marriage Index Records cover a large number of records between 1966 - 2010 and contain almost 8 million marriages. The records typically include the following information:
- Approx Birth Year
- Approx Birth Year
- Spouse Age
- Marriage Date
- Marriage County
- File number
Please note the original data does not always provide full information and there are fewer records in the earlier years.
Research the State of Texas marriage records database for your ancestors with this invaluable tool.
Verification of a Marriage
Verification letters are not considered legal substitutes for marriage licenses. It is strongly recommended that you make sure a verification letter will satisfy your intended use before ordering.
Certified copies of marriage licenses are only available from the county clerk (marriage) in the county or district in which it was obtained.
The Texas Vital Statistics provides letters verifying whether or not a marriage was recorded with the State of Texas based on the application for marriage sent to the office by the county clerk or district clerk. If no record of a marriage is found, the verification letter itself can be considered a "single-status letter".
Verification letters of marriage are available for marriages that occurred from 1966 to the present.
Is a marriage-verification letter the same as a marriage license?
No, a marriage-verification letter is not the same as a marriage license. A marriage-verification letter is a letter that verifies whether or not a marriage has been recorded with the State of Texas since 1966. For copies of marriage licenses, contact the county clerk in the county in which the marriage license was obtained.
What information do I need to know before I can order a marriage-verification letter online?
- The full name of the husband on the marriage license (optional if the wife's name is entered on your request for the record)
- The full name of the wife on the marriage license (optional if the husband's name is entered on your request for the record)
- The date, or date range if the exact date is unknown, when the marriage occurred
- The county or city where the marriage license was obtained, if known
- The date of birth for the husband, if known
- The date of birth for the wife, if known
- The age of the husband when the marriage occurred, if known
- The age of the wife when the marriage occurred, if known
For Further information please visit http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/vs/reqproc/mdverification.shtm
1100 W. 49th Street
Austin, TX 78756
8 am - 5 pm